Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Saturday, 30 May 2015

The Age Cryptic by DA #20,630

I managed to get through this one before 2pm which is a boon! I found the top half easy to get through and then got a bit stuck in the SE corner. This is a puzzle of halves for me. I could easily get half of the solution and would be oblivious on the rest. I could get definition, and enough to solve the clue but not the whole thing.

I won't have time to do the full breakdown of everything but I think I'll enough half clues that it'll be almost the whole thing.  Here's my pic:




9A - Leading pay system lasts in training area (3)

I knew from the definition "training area" it had to be GYM and I could see "paY systeM lasts" = YM but I don't know why "leading" = G.

15A - Made fast skip (5)

I assume this is a double definition by its brevity and I got the answer BOUND with cross letters and "skip" as the definition so I only wonder if "make fast" is referencing the phrase "by leaps and bounds"

19A - Cast could exaggerate opening? (5)

"Cast" is the definition and the answer is MOULD. I think something funny is going on with "exaggerate" but I don't know what. Are we to drop the C in "could" by making it "ex" and if so, how does it get us to use the letter M?

3D - Damaged hot judo suit, leaving embarrassed (7)

"Damaged" is the definition and the answer is INJURED but I could only get the "embarrassed" = RED part. I don't know the point of "hot" I'm guessing we take the JU from "judo" and what's the use of "suit"? I can see something should be "leaving" but I don't know what. I think it's something that will "do" will "suit just fine" so that's what is "leaving ju(-do)" to get the JU but then what's the point of "hot" in the clue...and I just now realised it means trendy and not temperature and something trendy is "in". I think I just got it.

4D - Announced relative pick of the orderly (10)

"Orderly" is our definition and the answer is SYSTEMATIC and I knew "announced" was a homophone indicator but is the phrase "sistah, mah tick?" I fear I have an accent issue at play here.

5D - Boat builder refusing to cooperate with GP? (4)

"Boat builder" is who we need and the answer is NOAH and I can see "refusing" = NO but is it "refusing to cooperate" or does "cooperate with GP" = AH? I don't know where the AH comes from. Oh! is it when the Dr. says "Say Ahhh" and we oblige while they try and not trigger our gag reflex with the icky wooden sticks? Now I see.

8D - Smoked cocaine on the house when hospitalised? (9)

This was my first solve which should be no reflection on me as a person. "Smoked cocaine" is the definition and the answer is FREEBASED. "On the house" = FREE but I don't know how "when hospitalised" = BASED.

13D - Virtually raise search to attain odd comic from yore (7,4)

"Comic from yore" is the definition and the answer is JACQUES TATI who I've never heard of before but after watching a few videos on Youtube I think he's an inspiration for Mr. Bean. I was able to get the surname from "To AtTaIn odd" = TATI which I could google and with cross letters (Very thankful for the J being in place) but I cannot suss how we get JACQUES from "virtually raise search."

19D - Purplish mark - mole close to areola (7)

"Purplish" is the definition and the answer is MAGENTA but I'm completely clueless as to why. I was able to get this once I had the cross letters. Wait! Just got it while editing "Mark" = M, a "mole" is an AGENT and "close to areolA" = A but I'd not figured "mark" = M before.

25D - Writer suggests golf club lacks taste (3)

"Writer" is the definition and answer is NIB but again I got this with cross letters and the definition but I don't know how we get it here. Golf clubs? Bland? Uncouth? Billy Madison?

That was Friday. I was happy to have this done before 2pm which is an achievement for a DA but with so many clues I can't fully parse it's not a very satisfying finish. What is still proven is that by writing out the clues in this manner I do find more solutions. Sometimes I think I don't need this blog anymore and then I show myself "Eh, it doesn't hurt."

It looks a glorious day and I'm already halfway out of the door. I hope you get to enjoy this day too.. If you have solutions please put them in the comments or if you have alternate solutions then please share those too. Have a great day.

Just a last word to ask if anyone here knows someone who has struggled with diabetes to please support a diabetes charity. My paternal bloodline has a long list of diabetes sufferers who rarely make it past their 60s. I was reminded that the research done by charities benefits so many people. I recommend Diabetes Australia  or you can find a local chapter to support.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack