I did crack on and got two puzzles solved yesterday. I get mixed results with a Guardian puzzle but this one wasn't a huge challenge and was kind to newbies. I think knowing the California geography helped me but it's hard to take off the Aussie slang hat and put on the British slang hat and put my mindset into another country's thinking. I had to remember that Brits call petrol stations "forecourts" I have no idea if Aussies use that word, too. Here's the pic:
12,24D - Tramp's boxing arena rebuilt with tin - you can't get lower than that (7,6)
With cross letters I was able to guess MARIANA TRENCH and then try and figure out the anagram in reverse. With two anagrinds I found it difficult to suss out what to mix. I think ARENA and TIN get us most of the way and then "Tramp" = MARCH to give us the rest of the letters but I wasn't sure. It seems the best bet.
I do wonder about the use of an apostrophe plus S because sometimes it's part of the fodder and other times it's not. Is there a rule regarding when the S is to be used or not or is that all part of the solving work for us poor sods?
21A - Nosey creature's salt-covered "eye" (5)
I needed all the cross letters in place and then checked this was right because I cannot see the wordplay at all. I don't know how "salt" is being used. I'm guessing "covered" is a container signpost and "eye" = I and TAPIRs have a mini trunk to make them "nosey" but I'm missing the "salt" part here.
2D - "I live with soul in torment" misconception (8)
I had all of this but just want to be certain that "live" = L in the same way "dead" = D otherwise I wasn't sure where one of the Ls came from for ILLUSION. I had this as I = I and "live" = L with "SOUL IN torment" and remaining fodder.
@LRxword sometimes gives us an old puzzle of his that's never been seen before. I don't know I have everything right as I've not seen the solution. This one is a wee bit risqué but still fun to solve. Also it has a few errors which LR says is because the puzzle's never been test solved. They were easy enough to figure out; like 4D and 5D have their clues swapped and 13A should be 14A and I think the L is not parsed in 10A unless we're supposed to use CAL instead of just CA for California's abbreviation. I had the wrong first word in for 1A (Best instead of BANG) which screwed up the top left corner for me. I did like 8D and 21A. I didn't do as complete a breakdown as I usually do so I hope there's no trouble. Ask anything in the comments and we'll discuss.
Today I'm giving the new Vlad in Guardian a try and I've printed the Age's NS. I'm getting things organised for my daughter's 11th birthday party this weekend. I love making up treat bags. This year they'll get playing dice. All kids love dice games right? I'll add a couple rules for some non-gambling games they can play. Happy almost Friday.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack