Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

The Age Cryptics...a few of them and my solution!

I was mighty distracted with getting the puzzle done for yesterday and fell behind on other puzzle stuff, but I have done the Age puzzle everyday. I printed off the Guardians, too but haven't looked at them - I should just do them online and not waste the paper as they're often the ones I never get around to finishing.

Monday's RM was all right... I thought 5A was a bit odd. I only had to cheat for 27A and not being very religious I wan't too bothered about not knowing that one. Here's the pic:



24A - While I have a meeting on another continent... (4)

I got the answer from definition and cross letters but I don't know how from wordplay. I assumed we take the A from the clue but the rest I don't know.

27A - A monk needs one theoretically (1,6)

Okay I'm not all right not knowing what's going on here. You know, I may be better off letting this one slide after all.

21D - Tried and got go-ahead without European resolution (3,1,2)

Again I got this from definition and cross letters. Is it "go-ahead" minus the E from "European" then mixed to give us HAD A GO? But that leaves only "got" or "resolution" as anagrinds and "resolution" isn't near the fodder and "got" is not a common anagrind is it? No I'm being silly, "got" = HAD doesn't it...no I think I was closer the first time.


Yesterday's DH had a few hard nuts to crack... and I had to cheat on two. Here's that pic:



10A - Hart gets recognition in prediction of course (9)

I got this with definition "prediction of course" and cross letters. I only know "hart" as a male deer so I don't know if it's the surname of a certain person or how "getting recognition" fits in there or if "getting" is a container signpost or not.

4D - Very big quarry for fish hawk (6)

I had this from the first letter to get OSPREY from "fish hawk"  but I wonder if "very big quarry" refers to the bird itself or in the hunting of the bird, which I believe would be illegal everywhere. I think they're protected in some countries. I'm confused on this clue.

8D - Innate characters in German city churches (8)

I had to cheat on this one. I'm guessing "innate characters" is the definition but how do we get that from "in german city churches" I would like to know because I'm not finding a German city and "church" in German is kirche so I'm stumped.

Today's DP has given me a rash...  I've said before I like these puzzles the least and should just do the Guardian and let it go but habits are hard break. Here all I have is a whinge, so talk me down if I'm wrong, please. Also my red pen was missing but I did peek at a couple with the check button:




9A - Spare to make an added-on room (4-2)

I do not see how the wordplay "Spare to make an"  gets us the answer LEAN-TO which to me is a makeshift shelter.

12A - Argument about microphone on stick (7)

Answer is POLEMIC "microphone" = MIC and "stick" = POLE but the wording would work better for a down clue not an across as the MIC is not really on the POLE and because of this I hesitated for far too long to get the solution in the grid.

2D - Fish got confused at trial (3-4)

This was an anagram clue and "confused AT TRIAL" was the anagrind and fodder to make RAT-TAIL how does "fish got" make RAT TAIL? I don't get this one wee bit.

22D - Otherwise hurls up a greenish powder (7)

If this had come sooner I'd have quit earlier on. I pegged "greenish powder" as the definition and "otherwise HURLS UP" as anagrind and fodder but SULPHUR is not green. It's yellow. I fudged about with this until the cross letters feel in to say it was SULPHUR for the answer but yellow is not greenish and it was very misleading. I'm in a huff.


Last but not least is the solution to my own puzzle that I published yesterday:


Thank you to all who gave it a go, and you can tell me where it needs work, I won't cry. After all the crap I dished up here it would seem only fair to put my chin out there too. I appreciate it that anyone would give it a shot.

Apologies again for the puzzle-dump. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack