Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Monday, 18 May 2015

The Age Cryptic by LR #20620

I don't know about you but I found this one was tough. I'd struggle along and then Ah! I see it plain as day. Maybe I was just having a slow day? Maybe this puzzle was the equivalent of a Magic Eye image? I broke in with the SW corner and then across to the NE and finished in the SE.



1A - Concentrate! Line one at call centre (7)

Wow, starting with a shout I chose to ignore. "Concentrate" is our definition and "line" = CORD and "one" = I with "cALl centre" = AL to make fruit concentrate CORDIAL.

5A - Loves getting promotion to swamp head supervisor (7)

"Loves" is our definition and "getting promotion" is a bit misleading as it makes us think about job promotion but it's more advertising promo to make AD and "swamp" = MIRE and "head Supervisor" = S to make ADMIRES.

9A - Language is almost dead, and popular! (5)

"Language" is what we're looking for and "almost dead" = LAT(-e) "and popular" = IN for the dead language LATIN. Is this clue a semi &lit?

10A - Band encountered every single accountant (9)

"Band" is what we're looking for and "encountered" = MET, "every" = ALL, "single" = I and "accountant" = CA for a chartered accountant to make METALLICA. Awesome.

11A - Opposition leader sees shrink (7)

"Opposition leader" is who we're wanting and when we "see" something" shrink" we'll see it SHORTEN. for Bill Shorten, the current opposition leader for Australia (I include that more for the visitors from Canada, USA, India and the UK. I get a lot from Russia, too but they're mistakenly sent here for porn. They must be really disappointed.)

12A - Seal off intimate video (5,2)

Double definition: CLOSE UP.

13A - Helps Middle East sisters eliminate queen (7)

"Helps" is our definition and "middle eASt" = AS  and "SIST(-er)S eliminate queen" = SISTS as we take out the ER (Elizabeth Regina) from "sisters" for ASSISTS.

15A - Yearbook showed little Alistair, Guy and Nancy regularly (7)

"Yearbook" is our definition and "little AListair" = AL and "guy" = MAN and "nAnCy regularly" = AC for ALMANAC.

18A - Vice-monarch going down (7)

"Going down" is our definition and a "vice" = SIN and a "monarch" can be a KING for SINKING.

20A - Disciple of cryptic setter frames first puzzle (2,5)

"Disciple" is who we're after and "cryptic SETTER" is anagrind and fodder that will "frame" or go around the "first Puzzle" to make ST. (P)ETER.

22A  - Skype with topless boyfriend in French castle (7)

"French castle" is our definition and the program/app "Skype" lets you have a video CHAT with others. A "topless boyfriend" = (-b)EAU to make a CHATEAU.

24A - Investigate former Palestine group again (7)

"Investigate" is our definition and something "former" = EX, "Palestine" = P, "group"  = LO which I don't understand and "again" = RE to make EXPLORE. I don't know if "Palestine" is supposed to be PL and "group" = O as in the blood group but I can't find an abbreviation of Palestine that's PL. It's usually PS or PSE. I saw PNA as well. I'm just not sure where the L comes from.

25A - United Nations quietly left when Henry's wife died without warning (9)

"Without warning" is our definition and "United Nations" = UN, "quietly" = P for piano, "left" = L and "Henry's wife" = ANNE (he had a few) and "died" = D to make UNPLANNED.

26A - City loop's also known as...? (5)

"City" is what we want and "loop's" = O'S and "Also Known As" = AKA as it commonly does for the Japanese city OSAKA.

27A - Very thirsty for good French red mixed with cherry base (4,3)

"Very thirsty" is our definition and "good French" = BON as it's good in French, "RED mixed" is partial fodder and anagrind with "cherrY base" = Y to make BON(E DR)Y.

28A - Like our iPad app! Like it and note review (7)

"Like our iPad app!" is the definition - I'm happy to see someone else who enjoys an exclamation mark as much as I do! Bloody great! "like it" = DIG IT and "note review" = LA for the note and then reverse it to AL to make DIGITAL.

1D - See ancient photos of wintry periods (4,5)

"Wintry periods" is our definition and "see" = C and "ancient photos" = OLD SNAPS to make COLD SNAPS.

2D - Toxic stuff asphalt returned by post office to one boy (3,6)

"Toxic stuff" is our definition and "asphalt" = TAR being "returned" for RAT and "post office" = PO, "one" = I and "boy" = SON for RAT POISON.

3D - Burns when kiss is rejected by existing crush (7)

"Burns" is our definition and "kiss rejected" = -X from "E(-x)ISTING crush" leaves our fodder and anagrind to make IGNITES.

4D - Fruit for the French Jamaican man (5)

"Fruit" is our definition and "the French" = LE and the French word for "the" and "Jamaican man" = MON as it's how the Jamaicans say "man" to make a LEMON.

5D - Tyrants get gold bed raised above vermin (9)

"Tyrants" is our definition and "gold" = AU, "bed raised, above" = COT reversed to TOC for a down clue and our "vermin" = RATS for AUTOCRATS. It took me a while for this because I thought "get au" was a container and I was trying to get "au" somewhere in the middle or around the A from 15A.

6D - Turnbull married drunk student at mass (7)

"Turnbull" is our definition and "married" = M, "drunk" = ALCO as a slang word for a drunk (I think) and a "student" = L then "mass" = M to make MALCOLM.

7D - Mention rear (5)

Double definition: RAISE. "Mention" as in to raise the subject of something and "rear" is when a horse raises on its hind legs or to raise children.

8D - Pointed to southern string instrument (5)

"Pointed" is our definition and "southern" = S and a "string instrument" = HARP for SHARP as in direct and to the point. How I like my friends. I have no time for BSAs.

14D - Weaver uses Singer you repaired (9)

"Weaver" is who we're looking for (not me, sadface) and "SINGER YOU repaired" is fodder and anagrind to make SIGOURNEY Weaver the famous actress.

16D - Turn of the century couches and shirt? Hold it right there... (3,2,4)

"Hold it right there" is our definition and "turn of the century" = TON (100 in cricket/100 years) reversed to NOT and "couches" = SOFA and "shirt" = T for a tee-shirt to make NOT SO FAST!

17D - Surprise when mongrel at empty venue gets dance (9)

"Surprise" is our definition and "mongrel" = CUR and "empty VenuE" = VE  and a "dance" is a BALL to make CURVEBALL. Yay, a baseball reference!

19D - Country lad, nice sort (7)

"Country" is what we're looking for and "NICE LAD sort" is fodder and anagrind for ICELAND.

21D - Grandpa's on Glee beginning hit tune (3,4)

"Hit tune" is our definition and "grandpa's ON" = POP'S ON and "Glee beginning" = G for a POP SONG.

22D - Morsel for poor bum under chair outside (5)

"Morsel" is our definition and "poor BUM" is partial fodder and anagrind which will go "under" ChaiR outside" = CR to make CR(UMB)

23D - Ski resort in Naples evicts 50 roughly (5)

"Ski resort" is what we're after and "NAP(-l)ES evicts 50" means to pull the "50" = L out of "Naples" to leave NAPES and then "roughly" is an anagrind to remix for ASPEN.

24D - Friend Edith's content to be finished (5)

I got to this corner last and then this clue last and thought "Hey there haven't been any hidden word clues!" and look and see LR did fit one in.  Definition is "finished" and our signpost is "content" showing us that in "friEND EDith's" is ENDED and quite fitting for our last clue.

All done! So the only query I have is with 24A and where the L comes from otherwise, although it took me a while, I got everything else figured out. As always let me know if you got a different solution or came to the answers another way. I've not seen the solution yet so I could have errors here.

Hope your Monday was kind.

Just an extra; my husband was picking on me today when he caught me holding two pencils and wondered why. It may look weird but I don't want to use the eraser in my fancy pencil so I use the Bic eraser, and write with my Rotring. He thinks it's weird but It's very natural for me. I used to study with a highlighter in my left hand going over notes and textbook and then my right hand had two colours of pen where I'd write definitions and topics in one colour and explanation and details in another. I made myself ambidextrous this way to make study faster. Anyone else have weird habits like that?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack