Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

The Age Cryptics by RM and DH #20,614 & 20,615

I had such a struggle with Monday's RM that I gave up with several unsolved. With the solution today I was able to figure out the clues but I have a few gaps. Yep, she kicked my butt big time. I got through today's DH with some struggle as well but I did get there in the end. I had to take a gardening break between rain showers to hack back a few shrubs in my frustration but all is good!

First the RM:



23A - Takes turns in order to inflate prices (7)

I had nothing here. I can see that "takes turns" gets us ROTATES but the wordplay has me completely stuffed.

4D - Resplendent almost intoxicated fellow (7)

I (think) knew how to solve this one but I couldn't think what word for "intoxicated" was being docked if it is the solution.

16D - One who renders something enduring is stifled by opposition member (9)

I had this as "enduring is stifled" = LAST(-s) and an "opposition member" = PEER but I'm a letter short and I can't figure how the wordplay works.

24D - School dress upsets loony in charge (5)

I get that a "school dress" = TUNIC but the wordplay again is not making itself clear for me. I don't know if "loony" is an anagrind for IN but then what do the CUT mean for "in charge" I just cannot get.


Tuesday's DH I did manage to solve. There were a lot of anagrams and three hidden word clues - isn't that excessive? I thought there could be only one. Here's that pic:




17D - Golf clubs right? Various ones about? (7)

I guessed it was going to be PUTTERS or DRIVERS but what does "Various ones about" mean? Unless I'm completely wrong and it's just a coincidence that DRIVERS fits.

21D - Ernie embracing the Italian back in New York Island (5)

Once cross letters were in I knew it was ELLIS but I didn't know who "Ernie" was (I googled and found a golfer named Ernie ELS) and I thought "Italian back" would be IT reversed to TI not IL -> LI.

That's me. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack