I don't know what it was about this puzzle but I struggled to get a hook in for ages. I finally managed to unzip it from the bottom a bit and then worked my up but got stuck in both corners. I was finished around half two this arvo. My first entry was 13A, last in was12A. Here's the pic:
First off, I really love the grid design. I think it's lovely. I know many think it's weird that I find such things appealing but I am a crafter and I see quilt patterns and crochet square designing. This is a lovely pattern. I am going to copy this one and have a play with it and see what comes out. It also looks like it has a lot of black space and might be a small puzzle but it's got 32 questions (the longest being 11 long) which is typically the most cryptics get. Most of the Age/SMH puzzles have nice grid design as opposed to the Guardian where it's a bit more helter-skelter. I wonder if it has anything to do with the programs compilers use.
I think there were a few tough ones to parse. 16A took me ages. 12A was last because I couldn't see where the P should go and kept saying "I'll get back to that one." only to realise at the end there was no P. Then 24A with its "French OCEAN songs" and I was trying to work something "shanties" which gave me enough letters to figure out what I needed to do. I may have just been a bit of a 10A today. 18D was very clever and took me a long time because one is two syllables and the other is one and we don't even pronounce half of the letters. Then I couldn't resist drawing some "wheels" for 23D in my breakdown.
The only one I'm a bit iffy on is 3D as I think it's just a double definition for "leader" and "stationery" to make RULER but I keep wanting to put an L in RUER - why am I making harder than it needs to be? I just keep thinking stationery is paper, maybe pens but not all the stuff one would keep on their desk. That's just called crap, right?
If anyone has questions or alternate solutions then please speak up in the comments section. Keep warm fellow Victorians! I don't know about you but I've got some vodka to sling back to warm my cockles.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack