Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Monday, 8 June 2015

The Age Cryptic by LR #20,638

What a puzzle to get on Monday! Cheeky, fun and a few experimental clues to boot. Great stuff. It was pretty easy but I still found a few in the SE corner harder and needed One Across to help me get 13D. My favourite was 28A. It was a fun bit-by-bit reveal that I had to write out to see the answer. 2D was too risque to believe it was the answer but it was. Well done LR.

I had a few I couldn't parse straight away but I've got them now and I think I've got everything scribbled up nicely:




I've not heard the phrase DOG ACT meaning to be despicable so that was new for me. 9A was good because at first it looks like "zero fat" is an anagram. I don't know for sure if 22D is supposed to be BETA or ZETA but I figured we don't get enough chances to use Z-words so I went with that. Any letter could be an "unknown" right?

For all my raving about 28A I just noticed I didn't write out the solution which is: "foggy" = MISTY, "quiet" = P and "Edward" = ED all words are MISTYPED. I just circled it and shared on CCS. They made a claim that the clue isn't "kosher" but I think it is in the Rebus kind of way. That counts. I say if it's published it counts.

That's all I've got time for. I've had bad news from home and am playing phone tag with half my family. My Mom has had a mild heart attack and is in hospital. Fingers crossed she gets through the next 48 hours all right. Thanks LR for the fun distraction, I'll buy you lunch the next time I'm in Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack