Hello! Anyone else out there struggling with pollen and feel like their heads are going to explode? I am unbearable just now and I mean that - I have been on the sofa because my sinuses have turned me into the snoring menace. To be honest I've had the best sleep in ages as a result but it doesn't make for a happy marriage - all the guilt. Making the snot faced sickie sleep on the sofa. It's a nice sofa! I'm not bothered. He's just a light sleeper.
Today's puzzle I was able to wrap my head around and complete. Last week we will just write off as "I feel yuck, the world is yuck I can't think so fuck it all." Today I'm feeling much more positive. I did complete the puzzle but I have some clues that I could guess from definition and cross letters and then still have no idea how to parse the clue. Here's the pic:
12A - What summer did made sense (5,2)
I see that "made sense" is the definition but why does "what summer did," become ADDED UP?
13A - Path to loveless torment (5)
"Path" is the definition and the answer is TRACK but what am I removing O (loveless) from to get this? I put TRACK O in the anagram solver and I looked up tennis terms and got bupkis. I must be missing something.
16D - Old King eats a second serve - finishes off the dish (9)
I think I have this but I want to be certain: "The dish" is the definition, "old king" = COLE (a merry old soul) "eats" is a container for A S(econd) + SER(-ve) "finishes off" to be C(A + S + SER)OLE. Ok now I've typed it it looks right. I was thinking I missed a beginnings thing with A Second Serve and thE finishes and couldn't find the R. It was being a mess for me!
I also have figured out 3D and the cricket term for Yorker so that's done. Lots of clever bits here, I enjoyed this puzzle. I liked "missile launcher" for 8A and have circled many as favourites here. A nice way to kick off the week, Thanks RM!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack