Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Tuesday, 1 December 2015

The AGE/SMH Cryptic by DH #20,789

Certainly a bit tougher today with a few words that would have made this easier for people who've travelled the Middle East, or watch the news or are religious. I don't know if that was an intended mini theme or not with CALIPHATE, GEHENNA, RABAT, DAMASCENE, and BABEL.

I was held up by 12A for a while with just the B and thought Ruth BUZZI (thinking a place of great confusion might be a hive?) but I wondered if she was well known for her comedy in Australia. Then briefly thought USSC judge Ruth BADER but that's really Bader-Ginsberg. I wasn't up on my Book of Ruth or that she was involved with the story of the Tower of Babel.




17A - Painter at club in Morocco city (5)

I don't know what "painter" is doing. I thought "club" = BAR going back wards for some reason and using the AT in the clue to make RABAT but I don't see a reversal signpost - unless that's painter but I don't know why. I kept thinking of Mr Miyagi making Daniel-san "Paint the house, side to side!" I suppose for a down clue it would be "Paint the fence!"

23A - Don't restrict as many when never-ending (9)

I wasn't sure at all but now I wonder if this is a triple definition.

25A - In the morning I am in grass surrounding (7)

Is it supposed to be AM + I in BENT? It's the "grass" = BENT I don't understand.

1D -  "Stiff!!", bounder to state (7)

I get that "stiff" is the definition and "bounder" = CAD but how is "to state" = AVER?

There we go, that was Tuesday. I don't know if I have any errors so if you see one shout it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack