I got through this one with no issues today. We were kicked out of our house for a few hours while the pest control guy sprayed our property (Goodbye annoying, tiny ants that can fit through cracks in floor boards!) and we took over a table in a beach cafe and enjoyed this glorious morning. I think my house might be a major source of distraction because every time I solve elsewhere I get it done much faster. I may need to develop a series of coffices around town to increase my productivity.
All parsed and understood, thank you NS! I might have some nerve to pull out last week's DA that I never got finished.
I was going to mention 1D and then I didn't. Then Charles on Twitter said to me he thought it was not kosher - before I'd even tweeted my about my post. So let's look at 1D:
Sounds like god of festivity is to support you and me (7)
My first thought was we wanted a homophone of BACCHUS to make something meaning "support you and me" which is BACK US. It didn't quite work so I'd first put in BACKS US then looked again and saw the answer was one word not two. Confused, I erased and put in BACCHUS and was held up in the corner a bit because I wasn't sure I had it right. As it was, I let it go and was able to solve the rest.
Thanks to Charles I'm now more emboldened to comment about its construction. I'm not a skilled clue writer (I'm a middling solver) so how would this be improved? Could the clue survive having "sounds like" removed or just rearrange the clue so the "support you and I" is next to its signpost with the definition at an end where it belongs - not in the middle of clue as it is now.
Ok I feel better now, thanks.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack