I struggled a bit with this one because puns are not my forté and this one was full of puns. Also some of the definitions aren't in the same line as what I think the phrases mean - 13D for example: Play tricks upon a party for the unwashed! (2,3,5) with the answer DO THE DIRTY. That does not mean to "play tricks upon," it means to have sex. I know there's a Breakfast Test involved and having a sex party for the unwashed wouldn't fly but I did spend a lot of time thinking of phrases that had pranks involved. I know there's "Do the dirty work" which is a different phrase again, but also isn't about playing tricks on anyone. I asked my husband and to him it means to betray or drop someone in the shit - still not a playful prank.
I don't have a large inner pedant but I did curse 19A: Irritation by beheading dog (4) for ITCH as bad because dogs are male, bitches are female. I was trying to find a breed to remove the top letter for because I assumed that was common knowledge. With beheadings being in the news too often these days perhaps that's a device that should be put aside for now.
I haven't peeked at any solutions to see if I have an error here so if I'm having a "Violins on television" moment do let me know. Have a laugh at me trying in 4A to make Kooky into Kookies/cookies which was a letter short but that's what I was trying to do.
15A - Doubtful action by departing tangent? (5-3-2)
I got this with cross letters and definition "Doubtful action" and I guess "departing" = GO but don't see where the TOUCH AND is from.
26A - Guy with double Dutch (8)
"Guy with double" makes sense with the answer BIGAMIST but I don't know how "Dutch" fits in. I know about going Dutch on a date, and double-dutch is skipping rope with two ropes and it's slang for marijuana. Not sure ow the being married to two people gets in there.
7D - Dexter always turned inside out (7)
I got the answer EVERTED meaning to turn outward but I have no idea how we get there. I see Dexter has its "inside out" but how the R is found I don't know.
27A - As angry as a well-dressed man? (6)
I don't understand how the "well-dressed man" is SHIRTY. Is it because he's wearing a shirt? Is the bar Aussies have to reach to be considered well dressed is to just put on a shirt?
That's Wednesday. I don't usually do the DPs because if anyone is going annoy me it's typically been his puzzle. I have also found some amazing clues by him so it's a gamble.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack