Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Wednesday, 16 December 2015

The Age/SMH Cryptic by DP #20,802

Finished! Interesting to have some nasty storm words in this as Sydney is getting lashed to bits just now. Hope you folks are ok!

No major dramas here today but a few solves from definition I can't parse.


4A - Review on April first? (9)

I've never heard of this word and the dictionary has it hyphened. As it was necessary to solve it to get 1A I wasn't happy with it. I had the added annoyance of having my mind tell me it had something to do with rabbits or mad March Hare because I was once told it's good luck to have the first words you say on the first of the month be "Rabbits rabbits!" and I have forever just kicked myself for saying something dumb like "Did you brush your teeth?" first instead of "Rabbits rabbits!" and thus denying myself a month of good luck. The long history of Rabbits Rabbits aside, this clue just had me being silly.

16A - Nick, when overseas, turned to musical pieces (7)

I think "Nick" = SANTA and "overseas" = OS (see I remembered this time, I'm improving!) but SANTA isn't "turned" to make SONATAS. Let's rethink OS is reversed so that must what's being turned leaving SATAN reversed? It won't be an indirect anagram of Santa as I have firm confidence the editor wouldn't let that slide. Does Satan get referred to as Nick? Oh wiki says he does get called "Old Nick" right I didn't know that.  Why is Satan "old Nick?" is it just because of the anagram thing?

7D - Fruit for a Central Coast wingding (7)

"Fruit" is the definition and AVOCADO the answer so if a "wingding" = ADO then "a central coast" is either A VCO of AVCO and either way I don't quite know how we get those letters.

13D - Estate manager who holds the contest (10)

I got GATEKEEPER from cross letters and "estate manager" but I don't know how "who holds the contest" fits here.

18D - Coming out of chasm to the corporation (7)

I had all the cross letters and then noticed OF (CHASM) TO could be fodder and then mixed them to get STOMACH. I'm not sure what the definition is or what the anagrind is. This one just stumped me.

That was Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack