A fair mix of easy and hard today. It's great when there are a few easier clues to get a foothold into the harder bits. I got stuck up in the NE corner for a fair while as I didn't believe 6D was a real word and I couldn't get why 8D was the answer it was. I wasn't sure if it was a jab at pedophile priests.
I don't have time for a full breakdown but here's the pic full of scribbles:
9A - Boomerang stick I tossed at thespian for surprise element (1-6)
"Surprise element" is the definition and I got it from the definition and enumeration. I can see where "thespian" = ACTOR but how does "boomerang stick I tossed" = XF? "Boomerang" looks like it could be a reversal signpost and "tossed" is an anagrind but it doesn't make sense for the two letters.
20A - Writer making weird on station out there (5,6)
I got our "writer's" first name easily enough from "weir" = DAM plus the ON from the clue but I don't see how "station out there" gets RUNYON. Well, I get that "out there" = YON so really it's just "station" = RUN I don't understand.
1D - Backyard rules astound bumbling cricketers rising through the ranks? (3,3,3)
I got this quickly enough and even understand how it's put together, what I don't know is why I'm to know that a Roman numeral IX is to be reversed in ASTOUND*. Where do we find the need for "six" in the clue?
3D - Old-time alloy seals aluminium and silicon, say (9)
I can see that "olDTIME ALLOy" gives the fodder for METALLOID how does the word "seals" work here? Is it an anagrind or a hidden word signpost? How do I know to ignore O,L and Y? There's something off here and I can't see what I'm missing.
I'm out to the city today for some entertaining of the children stuff and hopefully will be able to get topped on my vitamin D and enjoy this gorgeous weather. We had a chilly visit to Kryal Castle on Thursday and spent time playing board games at Mind Games in Market Sq. Mall Geelong where they pull out a bunch of board games and play for a couple hours in the food court. A great way to try out new games and meet new people. Battle Sheep was a firm favourite. I don't know if the other Melbourne stores do this but they should.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack