Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Saturday, 5 September 2015

The Age/SMH cryptic by DA #20,714

I'm not sure if this puzzle was easier this week or if I'm just having a really great day but I got 3/4 done before hopping into the DA Trippers for a few hints. I was amazed some clues that gave folks trouble were my first ones into the grid. It's neat how everyone gets something different from a puzzle. Since I found this one more straightforward I liked it tons, funny how that works.

I found many answers by definition and several I can't fully parse. Here's my pic:



9A - Stosur decorated in the pacific? (5)

I got that SAM Stosur is who we needed but don't know why "decorated" gets us OA to make SAMOA.

10A - Packed a kitty-scooper, most likely (4,5)

I got this with definition "Packed" thinking of a theatre, and enumeration but I have no idea how the clue is parsed.

14A - Rudimentary creep ate nothing for starters (8)

Rudimentary is the definition and I can get that "creep" = INCH we can use the ATE from the clue and "nothing" = O but how do we know the correct order of the elements and what does "for starters" have to do with this? Is it saying to put the O before ATE?

26A - A crop stuffed by Saddam's ultimate WMD (1-4)

I got this from definition WMD and enumeration. I think it's supposed to be (a crop) (stuffed by saddaM's ultimate) but I don't know why A BOB is a crop to be filled with M to become A-BO(M)B. Is it a word for a whip or a foodstuff? A shortened word for one of those?

27A - Give present (rings, diamonds) after Yule's end (5)

This is a most confusing clue! I think the definition is "Give present" and I got the "after yulE's end" = E being the first letter but I don't know how we get the rest.

2D - Popular protest opposed to second dock (7)

I solved with One Across which let me know "Popular" is the definition but I have no idea how DEMOTIC is the answer.

4D - Bone fairly tender about splinter (3-5)

I got this with definition and cross letters and thinking laterally. I felt "Bone fairly" was the definition to get me to the colour OFF-WHITE but how the clue works I'm not sure. I'd thought for a long time the definition was "splinter" and answer was OFF SHOOT so I'm a blinded to the solution.

7D - A little fool stalks - thus in court (7)

I got the answer from definition and cross letters and I think I figured out the individual bits but I don't know how the clue tells us to put them together. Also SOUPÇON has a French character but no hint of frenchiness in the clue. Would that have made it too easy?

That's a lot of shrugging I dunnos. I should, knowing from past experience, double check those for anagrams or hidden words I've missed...Nope! All clear.

 That was me for this puzzle. I didn't find anything groan-worthy. I did shake my fist at the definition for 15A because I didn't see the trick for ages. Thanks to Ray at DAT for giving me hints on clues in the SE corner otherwise I'd have not finished. It was great to see some of the regulars return and how much the group has grown in the past year. Puzzle people are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack