This was tough. It lacked some the usual fun and Aha! moments. I got enough clues to get me stuck into the puzzle (21A, 28A, 1D) and for once the 3-letter clues weren't torture. I managed to solve this from the outside going inward. 16D was a total bust for me and I snatched my daughter's iPad and cheated. A few clues were new words for me and I had to internet search for clarification (3D, 14A) and I have many still with partial solutions. Here's my pic:
4A - Setter put out stuffing clean moment of decision (9)
"Moment of decision" is the definition and I think...oooh maybe it's (-set)TER as set is a synonym of "put" going "out" and then "stuffing clean" = WASHED to become WA(TER)SHED. That works right? I think the tense of clean threw me too, not considering it as a past tense.
10A - Tricks Queensland island to give up net? (5)
This is pure laziness on my part but I wasn't in the mood to look up QLD geography today and took a wager the answer was MAGIC which paid off. I still have zero time and don't know how this one's solved or if looking up QLD islands was a rabbit hole.
3D - Ultimate Vietnam tragedy giving rise to hurt (2,3)
With the M in place from 1A I thought "ultimate vietnaM" = M but I waited until the cross letters were all in place and got the answer via deduction. It looks like "Ultimate Vietnam tragedy" is the definition?
6D - Old typewriter -ware coming out soon- after the second (9)
I got this from the definition "Old typewriter" because I had one growing up. REMINGTON is the answer but I don't know how we get there.
24D - Never bow head down supporting Japanese drama (5)
"Never" is the definition and NOHOW the answer, which I didn't realise was one word. I think "(-b)OW head down" = OW which is "supporting" the HON but I don't know why HON comes from "Japanese drama."
27D - Spin hoop in hoop-la? (3)
"Hoop-la" is the definition and the answer is ADO but what the question mark wants me to do with "spin hoop in" to get the answer I can't see.
That's it. Short post and I'm strapped for time. Driving to Melbourne to see a blues concert tonight and then taking my kids into the city tomorrow. I fancy a wander through Chinatown and maybe a gallery. They only want to go to Minotaur.
As always if you have solutions or questions (no one ever asks me questions you are all better solvers than I am) please leave a comment. Have a great weekend and enjoy this glorious smack of Spring, with allergy tablets if necessary.
*Sorry forgot the pic, I said I was in a hurry.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack