I solved this from the bottom up and got 19D in first which must be the psych major in me that could spot that one so fast. I found the top difficult because I couldn't get 1A and had to cheat to get that before moving anywhere. Quite disappointing. I also cheated for the last word on 22D but I'm not kicking myself there - the phrase is off. I know that as "As a last resort" so I had "In the last....." and drew a blank. I was also unsure about 9A because I'd already had STEREO in 17A and wasn't expecting the same word twice, even as another version. But it was hard to argue with the hidden word right there before me.
Here's my pic:
11A - Second little taste is the most delightful (8)
I don't know where the "TEST" part is coming from. "Second" = S, "little" = WEE so how does "taste is the most" = TEST? I don't see how we drop the A and mix the rest of "taste" to get there.
I was going to ask about 4D but I just saw it's "agreement" = OK "entering into" "the day before" = EVE to make EV(OK)E.
That's all I had trouble with yesterday. Once I had the pun for 1A everything else fell into place. I really struggle without a first letter in place. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
That's all I had trouble with yesterday. Once I had the pun for 1A everything else fell into place. I really struggle without a first letter in place. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
Today's puzzle was done in an hour. My fastest newspaper solve yet. I'll wager the advanced solvers had this done before their first cuppa was cold.
3D - Irish business starts naming old Colleen the final heretic (10)
ICONOCLAST is our answer and I know "Irish" = I, "business" = CO but I don't know where the "NO" comes from. I had a dumb handwritten typo in there so ignore the "noo/new" thing, I was not paying close attention. "Colleen" = C and the end is "final" = LAST so I don't know why "old" = NO.
4D - Experience final stroke in hoist (5)
I got this from cross letters and definition, otherwise I'm stumped as to how we get HEAVE.
13D - Something to eat for supporters of Charles (4,2,4)
My last one in the grid and I had all the cross letters and no idea. I used One Across to help me out but don't know what this about. Charles Lamb, sure but is the clue just a play on his name? Is he a popular guy in Aussie history? I've never heard of him. Yet I got 17D immediately because I love Doris Day. I got 16D after a lot of googling because I only know about Carlsbad California and couldn't figure out the Czech link. "Lewis" did not make me think Carl Lewis first. Jerry Lewis would always be my first Lewis, especially since it was his 89th birthday yesterday. Carl Lewis isn't far behind, though as I know him from the Olympics.
That's all I've got. I printed off today's Brummie and will give it a go but it looks tough. I need to give these Guardian guys a fair shake more often - the puzzles are free, why do I shirk them? Lazy. Comfortable with the gang at the Age.
If you have questions or solutions please add them in the comments as they are always appreciated. Have a great day!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack