Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Monday, 30 March 2015

The Age Cryptic by LR #20,578

Unusual in that we often have to solve clues to guess the theme but here the clues were themed and the answers not so much, except for 18A which took me a long time to get - go figure. As I've come to expect with an LR puzzle there is wit and smiles to be found in the clues as well. Several clues have cosmetic surgery elements in them.

No brags on finishing quickly today. I didn't get my last clue in until after lunchtime. Here's the pic:



On this rare occasion I have all of them parsed, too. Just clarify a couple for me:

8D where it's "5 ways to get around" that's SENSE and it starts with the last S then goes "around" to the top and then down capturing UR in its way. Because it can't be an anagram as there's not fodder, right? It's the only way I see to spell "sense" correctly.

For 22D "Cat's mother" = SHE because of the saying "Who's she? The cat's mother?" which I'd never heard until I moved to the UK, as a way of correction someone (usually kids) for using "she" while the person is present. Is there a different way to interpret this clue?

Monday has been a joy, glorious weather and my daughter only cried once because I said she couldn't go swimming (she still has a cast on) and the magpies on my deck did not peck my toes which I appreciate very much.

I may not get to the puzzle tomorrow as I have to go to Melbourne for orthodontist appt and meet up with friends for sanity break. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack