Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Thursday, 12 March 2015

The Age Cryptic by NS #20,563

Something is wrong. Very wrong. How is it I've had all four puzzles this week done before lunch and no deep dramas? How is this possible?! These have been easy puzzles this week, right? Tomorrow is going to be kick in the guts. That's when the other shoe will drop. I am not going to get cocky but damn am I chuffed and doing a dance around my house.

It's closing in on the first year of this blog (May 5th). My New Year resolution last year was to get good at solving cryptics. To really understand what this stuff is all about and I think I've come pretty far. I actually started in February 2014 because I wasn't decided on any kind of NYE resolution - dumb things really. It was my husband who told me to start this blog. I started by just talking to myself but I'm delighted with all the great people I've met through this obsession. So many lovely people do cryptic crosswords. Thank you lovely people for helping me achieve my goal. I still have a long way to go but you make the way more fun.

The NS was pretty good. Her signature giant anagrams weren't too bad and I was able to get 27A immediately thanks to Tuesday's episode of Miss Marple The Moving Finger. This was a good challenge in the charades and homophones of "you" = U featured a few times. 25A was a pickle to parse. Here's my pic:


A reminder of what all my scribbles mean:

Definitions are underlined
Actionable signposts or words are circled
Anagrinds are in rectangles
Anagram fodder has a squiggly underline
Dashes above/below letters are beginning/end letters or odds/evens 

Underlined numbers are not fully parsed unless ticked and circled numbers are ones I share with the Facebook Cryptic Crossword Learners club.


What I need help understanding:

12A- Somewhere to sleep, i.e. clearly not outside, is complying with orders (8)

Answer is OBEDIENT with "complying with orders" as the definition but I don't know where the O comes from. I thought "somewhere to sleep" = BED then add the IE from the clue, "NoT outside" = NT leaving "clearly" as the only word not used.

13A - In rebuke, the voice quality was icy (5-4)

I got this with cross letters and thinking "quality was icy" but it wasn't settling for me. I think I just got this; is it "rebuke" = SCOLD and the "in" is a container signpost for "voice quality" = TONE for S(TONE) COLD?

23A - Do enter, in or under cover (6)

I got this from cross letters, it was my last clue in grid. Not sure it's right. I'm not sure how this is parsed. I put in INDOOR.

21D - One citizen is a keen supporter, embracing first great hero (5)

Again I had all the cross letters and could only think of one word to fit AFGHAN. Nothing makes sense for me though so it's likely incorrect. I thought "One" = I or "citizen" = KANE "Keen supporter" = PRO what's being "embraced" and who was the first "great hero" David? Roman/Greek  gods? I can't see where to dig into this clue. The likely definition is "One citizen"...maybe?

That's it from me. Raising a bottle of cider to wish us all big wins tomorrow in the battle against DA's offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack