Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Wednesday, 11 March 2015

The Age Cryptic by DP #20,562

A very short post today for a very short puzzle with only 25 clues to solve and most pretty easy, or at least easy to get with cross letters. I'm having a killer week with these puzzles! I must be careful not to get overconfident.

There was small Rapunzel theme with the long entries but none too (s)tressing.  Shame it wasn't used for 20 across as a Cockney clue.

Quick pic and then three clues I'm not able to parse:




12A - Haymaker uses it to toss into position (9)

I took a while with this thinking "haymaker" was a punch but once cross letters were there it was looking pretty ugly to try and fit a punch word in there. I then realised it was being literal about someone who makes hay and what they use to "toss" hay being a PITCHFORK. What I don't know is what makes this cryptic. If "toss" = PITCH then how does "in position" = FORK?


15D - Entirely and contrarily wrong (8)

I got this with all the cross letters in place and guessing. I think "entirely" must be the definition but...oh is "contrarily" saying using the opposite of "in wrong" to become OUT RIGHT? Oh that makes sense. Sorry I think I got it.


16D - Phone sound may cause elation after 1st of December (4-4)

And again I think I just got this as I'm typing. Is it "1st December" = D and ELATION is an anagram to follow to make DIAL-TONE? "may cause" is a weakish anagrind, huh?


Well I guess I only need help with one after all that. I hope I can keep on this roll for the rest of the week. Wishing you easy puzzle solving as well. You know, I wager the expert solvers are feeling pretty cheated out of a challenge. I can't wait to get to that point!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack