I've cracked the Russian Shawlette. It's not so bad once I figured out how to get started. The beginning, which I
mentioned before, is the same start for a granny square. Start at the green circle and first round for a standard
Granny Square (pattern uses English terms but it's good to know both). The pattern can be manipulated in the shell part into many styles and keeping the granny border and spine. I'm going to try this with
Paton's Fluffy Meringue blanket pattern. I've never managed to figure out how to make that as a blanket, but I can make it a triangle - I don't know why, I just roll with it. I think those picot topped shells would look nice. I'll give it a go with some nicer yarn. That's my test yarn, about 50grams left from a yarn that felted severely, so I don't trust it. I pull that out to try patterns. It's been worked and frogged so many times it's probably not going to pull this time. I'll work it until it's done and then give this to my daughter for her dolls. I have some
Zauberball 100 that would work very well with this pattern.
I do like how the shells make the pattern have a nice wave shape and it doesn't look like rows. I'm going to have fun playing with this. Here's the diagram again, I'd gotten it from Pinterest.
I'm working this as (American terms):
- The dot is a chain
- The small T is a single crochet (I avoid Half-double crochets if I can)
- solid line is a Double Crochet (DC)
- on row 3 where you see \''''/ as a base for the shell, I've made those Treble crochets. Treble crochet, chain 4 Treble crochet into the same space. You could do them as DC and save some yarn inches.
- All 3DC, ch1, 3DC I've chained 2 instead. I'm using a bulky yarn and it worked better. With the lace weight yarn I might not have to.
Let me know if you give this pattern a try. I'd also love to know what modifications others could come up with. Happy Hooking!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack