Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Thursday, 7 August 2014

The Guardian Cryptic by Philistine #26,331

Guardian setter for yesterday was Philistine and I think I did all right. I did use the check button which boosts my confidence to try risky answers. I still needed to cheat on six clues. A couple of the answers I got, I don't think I got them the way Philistine intended. I just had a go at the answer, which turned out right, I just don't know why it was right.

There is a theme running through some of the puzzle with 3D, 12D, 15D and 16A, 22D but it didn't help me in the solving, as I didn't notice until I was over half way through the puzzle. There is wordplay going on in the form of malapropisms. I had not heard of them, although I have a very dear friend who uses them a lot and they come more frequently when she's stressed. "It's bloody freezing! I'm turning into the abdominal snowman!" was a recent favourite.  I've been mixing malapropisms with eggcorns, which I'd also of learned of recently. So many ways to fudge about with words.

 Lots of notes today:


You can always click the picture to see it full size.

Looking at the main theme clues 7D, 5D, 16A, 22D and 15D:

7D -  Sing and act? Resulting in selection (7)





When we encounter the clue for 3D it reads: Might he be 7 5 or 16 22 with 15? 

Then we get 12D: Might she be 7 5 or 16 22 with 15? (3,8)

We use the words from the numbered clue to get a phrase. Moving along if I haven't completely caused confusion.



"Upstanding characters" is our definition. I did have cross letters and guessed at BIPEDS. Not sure about patents and county. I thought of  IP as "intellectual property" but where did "BEDS" fit then? I thought about county abbreviations, definition of county and could that be Bedfordshire? Is Bedfordshire a patent headquarters? Is patent meaning obvious and blatant? Does this info really need to be known for a crossword puzzle?









  1. by donating a gift, for example"














I had to cheat. I've heard the term but not in the plural like this and as the clues aren't plural as well. "Joint" = KNEES (why not joints?) and "drinks parties" are KNEES-UPS but I've known them as a  Knees-up. Not ups. Guess I don't go to enough old fashioned dance and booze parties.



I got this one first, double definition, we want a word used both with chocolate and soap: BARS. Although CAKE would work too. It's actually a classic clue that's been recycled.










  1. This one is another partial anagram but I wonder if it's also linked to the theme. I got this with cross letters then looking closer I thought "tender rules" was anagrind + fodder and "almost meant" was hinting to use most of those letters for our answer. I cannot see where the definition is for this clue. Drop the T from meant and then mix up "rules mean" to get MALE NURSE (I'm reminded of Scrubs and Ricky Schroeder being the "Murse" for a season) does this mean it's a theme clue? Murse is more a neologism, right?



13D -  Escape from Olga? (9)
This is a reverse anagram. We recently went over how to solve these in the Cryptic Learners Facebook group. The answer has to use fodder from the clue, but the anagrind is in the answer. Definition is "escape from" and OLGA is our fodder so we need an anagrind with five letters. GAOL BREAK. Gaol being an old word for jail and BREAK its anagrind. I'd never heard the word gaol before moving to Australia, where they have lots of "Old Gaol" tours. Making money off its criminal past? 











There! We are done. All prepped and ready for the DA tomorrow. I have printed off today's Tramp from the Guardian, but not had a chance to see it yet. I'll give it a look tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack