Ha HA! Done in record time, before lunch and no red pen. You see that pic - No Red Pen. I gots all them thar clues. No tricky theme, straightforward solves, nothing dodgy. I thought 4D was particularly genius and was one of my last clues in the grid. 11D was my last clue, bah geography. I may have gotten through this quickly because it's only 25 questions, but let's go with "Emerging cryptic solving genius" for today.
6A - Robbery delay (4-2)
Double definition: HOLD-UP
7A - Prejudiced parties banned drug...ban didn't begin (8)
"Prejudiced" is our definition. "parties banned drug" where drug = E to be removed from "parties" = PARTIS. "ban didn't begin" is an instruction to remove the first letter from BAN -B = AN for: PARTISAN.
10A - Bible book I cut out in jeans (9)
"Bible book" is our definition. "I cut out" is partial fodder+anagrind, "in jeans" means to put the mixed ICUT into a word for "jeans" = LEVIS like this: LEVI(TICU)S.
12A - Harmful time loop from 11th century (5)
"Harmful" is our definition. "time" = T, "loop" = O, "11th" = XI, "century" = C (as 100, I believe, not the first letter of century) to give TOXIC.
13A - Apologise or return borrowed item? (4,4,4)
Double definition: TAKE THAT BACK. Which make me think of this scene from A Fish Called Wanda.
16A - Doesn't explain night foliage (6,2,3,4)
Would this count as a cryptic double definition? LEAVES IN THE DARK. I was tempted to not put an answer in here, but I'm not cruel and I doubt anyone would've got the joke.
18A - Win gracefully with broadest pogo jumping (2,1,4,5)
"Win gracefully" is our definition. "broadest pogo jumping" is fodder+anagrind to give us: BE A GOOD SPORT. This phrase has lots of options for anagramming, and I particularly liked Adopts Goober and Beards Got Poo.
22A - Fake coastal feature (5)
Double definition: BLUFF.
23A - Gathers corrosion on beating pulse (7,2)
"Gathers" is our definition. "corrosion" = RUST, "beating pulse" is anagrind+partial fodder to give: RUST(LES UP).
24A - Director put State Emergency Service in film music (8)
"Director" is our definition and "State Emergency Service" = SES which is to be put "in" a word for "film music" = SCORE like this: SCOR(SES)E
25A - Fisherman Glen spilled carp guts outside (6)
"Fisherman" is our definition. "Glen spilled" is partial fodder+anagrind. "cARp guts, outside" tells us to take the middle of "carp" = AR and put that "outside" the fodder like this: A(NGLE)R
1D - Study of stamps on Greek letter recently (9)
"Study of stamps" is our definition. "Greek letter" = PHI, "recently" = LATELY for PHILATELY.
2D - Central European craft sank, voila! (9)
"Central European" is what we're looking for. "craft sank, voila" is anagrind+fodder to give: SLOVAKIAN.
3D - Coach flipped over championship caption (8)
"Caption" is our definition. "Coach" = BUS and we need to "flip" that over to make SUB, "championship" = TITLE for SUBTITLE.
4D - Freezing remote parts? (5,7)
Siberia? Toes or other "parts" frozen? Nope "remote" is a noun here and what part of the remote freezes action? PAUSE BUTTONS. This was a very satisfying solve. My favourite clue in this puzzle.
5D - Sport factoid: One captain is not moving (6)
"Is not moving" is our definition. "sport factoid" = STAT, "one" = I, "captain" = C for STATIC.
8D - She gutlessly took chromosomes to be attractive (4)
"To be attractive" is our definition. "She gutlessly" means to remove the middle of "she" leaving SE, "chromosomes" = XY for: SEXY.
9D - Pinch festive saint (4)
Double definition: NICK.
11D - Part of London where tea gang got angry (7,5)
"Part of London" "tea gang" = CHA RING (You know, that kind of punning is painful) where CHA is Japanese and Chinese for tea, "got angry" = CROSS for: CHARING CROSS.
14D - Employ Christmas songs outside merry-g-rounds (9)
"merry-g-rounds" is our definition. Employ" - USE, "Christmas songs" = CAROLS to be put "outside" like this: CARO(USE)LS.
15D - Electricity encloses Winslet's recreation area (5,4)
"Recreation area" is our definition. "Electricity" = SPARK which is to "enclose" "Winslet's" = KATE like this: S(KATE)PARK.
17D - Reckless, pointless, heartless Greek characters (8)
I got this wrongly. I'd thought "Heartless Greek" = E, then looked at "Greek Characters" as E as a plural Greek character EPSILONS. What word I'm supposed to mix-up (reckless?) and remove a compass point from (pointless?) then pull its middle out (heartless?) I don't know. Seems a lot of abuse for one word. OK! I see it now! I had to go away and come back. "Reckless pointless" is anagrind and fodder, but we also have to make "pointless heartless" and remove the middle T leaving POINLESS as the fodder to be mixed to make EPSILONS.
19D - The Spanish angle is mischievous (6)
"Mischievous" is our definition. "Spanish" = EL, "angle" = FISH (verb) for ELFISH.
20D - King of guitar questions grills (4)
"Grills" is our definition. "King of guitar" = BB, "questions" = QS for BBQS
21D - Regret turning up with zero foreign currency (4)
"Foreign currency" is our definition. "regret turning up" = RUE but reversed to EUR, "zero" = O for EURO.
Done! that was a great start for the week. Thanks to @LRxword. Looking forward to next week - the last theme puzzle in this short series? What will it be?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack