Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Tuesday, 14 April 2015

The Age cryptics by LR #20,590 and DH #20,591

We're still having internet woes here at Casa Crypticrochet so I couldn't get my post up last night. There was no way I was going to compose it from my iphone either. Today the router will only accept my laptop and all other devices are blocked. Seriously - this is getting annoying but since I'm the only one with internet access today, I'm going to ride this while I can.

Yesterday's LR was good fun. I got stuck on a couple and had to change gears, then shook my fist as I realised I'd fallen for trickery! 23A curse you! My last one in was 11A and I still don't know where the second letter V comes from. Here's my pic:


I struggled with 11A the most thinking of tomato and potato but that would've been (1,6) and I put int the AVOCADO even though I can't parse the V. I'm not really sure how this is parsed. LR said on Twitter he thought 20D would be his trickiest clue but that was a hidden word - easy for the aware (Ok I solved it late) but simpler than 11A in my opinion. I've also never heard of MUDFISH but it does not sound appetising.

I have raced through a rather easy DH this morning and I'm confident on my solutions. I nearly put PRON in for 28A but then thought internet porn is not a good breakfast. My only no solve is 9A - I just cannot get a word to work here. I can't pin down which end is definition but I think it's "apex" and I want something with "detective" = PI turned around and an L at the end. One Across doesn't help so I may have an error in here somewhere... OK I grabbed my daughter's ipad and cheated. I wasn't too far off, I just had the wrong use of "about" in the solution.

I also really like the grid design, it's fascinating. I swear if you cut this out and hinge the right sections it will fold up into a tower shape.



I have errands and when I return I'm giving Nutmeg's offing a try in the Guardian. I also found recently in my newsagent's a book of cryptics by Puzzle People and found they are all compiled by DH as well - at least issue No. 116 is. The neat thing is it breaks down and explains all of the clues for the first puzzle as a lesson for new solvers - I love this! It should be a standard for all cryptic books.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack