Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Wednesday, 22 April 2015

The Age Cryptic by DP #20,598

Another quickie which I'm surprised about as it's full of cryptic definitions and puns which I'm pretty woeful at solving. I don't have a great pun bone. I'm an accidental punner, people often say "Nice pun" and I have to review what I said then nod and wink like "Yeah, you got that, huh? cool" I'm fucking clueless! Worse is my teenager is mad for puns and keeps coming at me with a new one everyday. She learns them from Tumblr. Maybe she's been helping me without my even knowing it. She does things like say to the kettle "Sorry water, you'll be mist!" and stuff like that, it's most disarming.

Quite a few beginner level clues which I've shared on Cryptic Crossword Learners. I don't even have a very interesting picture as there were so few charades clues to parse out.


What I'm fuzzy on:

10A - Look at the way to deflect a ball (6)

I got the answer ADANCE from definition "a ball" but as one word it's not in my dictionary so perhaps that wrong. It also makes no sense to me as "look at the way to deflect" so not sure what's the skinny here.

25A - A violin - a fast one! (6)

I got cross letters and put in FIDDLE. I don't know the phrase "fast as a fiddle" but "Fit as a fiddle" so am I missing a music reference here?

28A - In the hide-away, a region of the Arabian peninsula (4,4)

Again, cross letters and a bit of google for the answer NEAR EAST to mean the area around the "Arabian peninsula" but the wordplay eludes me.

That was it. I had a moment of confusion when I printed out the puzzle as I thought it was Thursday and expected the NS which is fine, except I thought it was payday so I'm having a private wee pout.

Happy Humpday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack