I raced through this one. I only had a couple of questions and needed google a little to confirm things, mostly for 2D and 23D. I even managed most of the anagrams by myself without the anagram solver which I resorted to for 19D as it was a new word for me.
1D - Turn up in public conveyance? False! (5)
I don't know how "turn up" = GO unless it's like "I will go to the show, I will turn up." is that right?
2D - Either of the Chappells, with Charlie Eliot, producing old plainsongs (9,6)
Once I convinced my Google I didn't really want Schapelle Corbie (Google, I thought you knew me better than that!) I looked up what a "plainsong" was and got the answer. Then I could search for Gregor and Ian; both I'd never heard of before. What I couldn't find were the "Charlie Eliot" = CHANTS link. OH! I see it! Charlie CHAN the movie character and TS Eliot. Righto that makes sense now. Gosh I should see if there any Charlie Chan books on the ebooks (Yes, lots and most free as out of copyright). I now have a deep need to rewatch Murder By Death.
12A - Leading architect Thomas a famous character of Dumas (5)
I've had something similar before so I knew the answer once I saw "leading Architect" = A but how do we get the THOS? "THO(-ma)S? How do we know to drop the MA? Just not sure how we crack this one.
That was a nice way to start the day, who doesn't love winning? I'll print out the Brummie and have a go there as well and maybe the FT? Who knows. It's a quiet day for me otherwise - unless I get another call to pick my klutz kid up from school. She has yet to finish a full week of school uninjured. Yesterday it was a head crack with another kid while playing tag earning her a goose-egg on her forehead.
Have a great day.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack