Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Wednesday, 25 February 2015

The Age Cryptic by DH #20,549

Tuesday's DH was good for practice with a lot of anagrams and some good charades. 20A was a new word for me and I liked 4D. 15D gave me a giggle as the fodder nearly spells Liam Neeson. I was grumpy about George Pell being an element in 17A because I find him repugnant puzzle taint.

My internet was flaky yesterday so I did many of the anagrams the old fashioned way and didn't cheat. You can see that on the right side of the pic. I favour the consonants over vowels method as opposed to the circle one which takes up too much space. I've done this for years playing Countdown in the UK and Letters and Numbers here in Oz. Hey SBS - make new ones please!

I'll do a simple rattle through. Here's my pic:





9A - In Wal's bar "CC", cooked parts of crustaceans (4,5)

"Parts of crustaceans" is our definition and "WAL'S BAR CC cooked" is fodder and anagrind to make CRAB CLAWS.

10A - Left old Greek ship moving slowly (5)

"Slowly" is our definition and "Left" = L and an "old Greek ship" = ARGO of Jason and the Argonauts fame to make LARGO.

11A - And German, therefore, gets experience (7)

"Experience" is our definition as in to have something happen to you - it's a bit awkward, and "and German" = UND the German word for "and" with "therefore" = ERGO to make UNDERGO.

12A - My balsa work very poor (7)

"Very poor" is our definition and "MY BALSA work" is fodder and anagrind to make ABYSMAL.

13A - Notice battle in making grant? (5)

"Grant" is our definition and "notice" = AD as in a leaflet advertisement and "battle" = WAR that will be going "in" AD to make A(WAR)D.

14A - Alec! Pam is suffering problem in pregnancy (9)

"Problem in pregnancy" is our definition and "ALEC PAM IS suffering" is our fodder and anagrind to make ECLAMPSIA.

17A - Cult member concerned with George, specialist pest controller (6,9)

"Pest controller" is our definition and a "cult member" is someone IN SECT with "concerned" = RE,  "George" = PELL the Cardinal and the "specialist" is an ENT for an ear, nose and throat doctor to make  INSECT REPELLENT.

20A - Can't Linda start to sing about timber framing? (9)

"Timber framing" is our definition and we want to use the "CANT" from the clue plus "Linda starts" = L with "SING about" telling us the word "sing" will go about CANT + L to make S(CANT L)ING.

23A - Bob Jane grovelling too much in Amazon tributary (5)

"Amazon tributary" is our definition and this is a hidden word clue with the small signpost "in" with "jaNE GROvelling" hiding the river NEGRO. I'm not sure if "too much" has any use other than to make the surface more complicated.

24A - Glutton's family into American football (7)

"American football" is our definition and "glutton's" = PIG'S with "family" = KIN to make PIGSKIN, the slang word for an American football.

26A - Rice dish in Rhode Island toots? Rubbish! (7)

"Rice dish" is what we're looking for and "Rhode Island" = RI for the state's initials and "TOOTS rubbish" is partial fodder and anagrind mixed to make RI(SOTTO)

27A, 7D - In prime, greets Britten opera character (5,6)

This time "in" is an anagrind with "PRIME GREETS" as the fodder to create the "Britten opera character" PETER GRIMES.

28A - Parasitic worm to trade me off? (9)

Yuck! "Parasitic worm" is what we are looking for and "TO TRADE ME off" is fodder and anagrind to make TREMATODE.

1D - Precisions found in current clerical offices (10)

I got this from definition as it was the first word I thought of but I struggle to make it work from the clue. I know from later cross letters my hunch was correct. Ok, I think I get this - is it "Current" = AC as in AC/DC alternating and direct currents with "clerical offices" = CURACIES. I've not heard that word before but I think I'm right.

2D - Come down for service in continuous area of country (8)

"Continuous area of country" is our definition and "come down" = LAND as in a plane and "service" = MASS as in a Catholic mass, to make a LANDMASS.

3D - Awfully racy cadet's one easily frightened (7-3)

"Easily frightened" is our definition and "awfully RACY CADET'S" is anagrind and fodder to make SCAREDY-CAT.

4D - About Joseph? Left inside to wheedle (6)

"To wheedle" is the definition and here we get another use of "about" that I didn't mention in my post on the signpost "About About" here it's CA, but I don't know why! I'll have to keep looking. "Joseph" = JOE and "left inside" = L going into JOE to make CA(JO(L)E)

5D - Starts each Sunday; policeman taking everybody in for seafood (8)

"Seafood" is our definition here and "starts Each Sunday" = ES and "policeman" = COP which is "taking everybody" = ALL to create ES(C(ALL)OP.

6D - Captain to place Cassius? (4)

"Cassius" is our definition and "Captain" = C with "to place" = LAY for Cassius CLAY,  Muhammad Ali's birth name.

8D - Very thin metal in fencing blade (4)

Double definition separated by "in": FOIL.

15D - Annie's meal cooked for Solomon Islander (10)

"Solomon Islander" is our definition and "ANNIE'S MEAL cooked" is fodder and anagrind to make MELANESIAN. I had a good laugh over this as my first find in the anagram was LIAM NEESAN. Almost a perfect match and quite amusing.

16D - No master! Or trouble for Starman (10)

"Starman" is who we are looking for and not the old Jeff Bridges movie or the David Bowie song - sneaky italics. "NO MASTER OR trouble" is fodder and anagrind to make ASTRONOMER.

18D - Rule it second best and light it up again (8)

"Light up again" is our definition and "rule" = REIGN and we need the IT from the clue to fill space between "second bEst" = E

19D - Advantage also left providing trimming implement (4,4)

"Trimming implement" is what we're looking for and an "advantage" is an EDGE, "also" = TOO and "left" = L to make EDGE TOOL.

21D - Dark aluminosilicate in gold? George has it at Evans Head (6)

"Dark aluminosilicate" is our definition and "gold" = AU, "George" = G this time and "had IT" means include "it" to our answer leaving "Evans head" = E to make AUGITE.

22D - Gemstone found in fish trap (6)

"Gemstone" is what we want and "fish" = GAR and "trap" = NET got a GARNET.

24D - Just beat Irish for Australian beach mollusc (4)

I'm not very sure how this is solved. I'm sure the "Irish" = I and with cross letters I could guess PIPI as our "mollusc"

25D - Douglas church in Aberdeen? (4)

Double definition: KIRK.

There we go. If anyone has alternate solutions or fun stories to share about how they got answers then please do so in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack