I didn't think I was going to be able to work this but my afternoon plans fell through and I found a few hours I didn't anticipate. This was good practice and a different tone than other DH puzzles. I had to check at one point and be sure it was a DH puzzle.
No time for a full breakdown but here's my pic:
Only clue I cannot parse:
17D - Betting on son or patron (7)
I got the answer SPONSOR from the definition and cross letters but don't know how it's done.
I was surprised that 19D was ISOPOD and yes, it all makes perfect sense as a clue. I was looking for other words for a "woodlouse" which I grew up calling them a roly-poly but in the UK are called slaters and the Aussies call Butchy Boys - I'd love that one explained if anyone knows! How interesting that a bug known all over the world, and kids are drawn to because they are interesting and harmless (edible too and taste like prawns, I'm told) and have so many interesting names, that the answer was isopod seemed a disappointment. (Interesting - that link shows an orange and tan spider that hunts woodlice and we saw one at the bus stop this morning! I was surprised because I'd only seen one once before back in Scotland and it was much bigger. Yes, I like bugs and spiders. Sorry)
Happy to explain any other clue in the comments. Happy Hump Day!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack