Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Sunday, 22 February 2015

All About About

I shared this short post on the Cryptic Crossword Learners and thought I'd add it in here, too. 

When I was first learning to solve cryptics, the word about showed up so often that it caused me confusion. So much so that I began to hate seeing about. A year later, I'm better at identifying how it's used but it was a real stumbling block for me in the beginning. It wasn't until I started taking notes that I realised the many ways about is used by compilers when creating their clues. Compilers must love about for its versatility and ability to improve a clue's surface.

About could be a reversal signpost, an anagrind, a container signpost or a charade element in a clue. Sometimes it's just there for a smoother surface and has no other purpose - the most misleading about of all.

Being aware of the word about is good as it's most likely an element to the solution. Once you understand how its being used it helps break up the clue so it's easier to solve. Here are a few examples of the word about being used in different clue types.

As Reversal Signpost:

Suspend cockney with beer about girl (6) (@LRxword)

A bit of advice about depression (3) (Cincinnus)

Boast about one's clothes (4) (DP) 

Jot about picture file? (3) (DA) 

An Anagrind:

Narnia? Um, is it about Christian doctrine? (12) (Qaos)

Following guide, hear about carved decoration (10) (Commoner)

Anger about whatever Eve lost (5) (RM)


As A Container Signpost:

Embarrassed about battle for payoff (6) (Chifonie)


Passionate tale about leader of Mohicans (6) (Everyman) 


Patrons complain about new players (14) 


As A Charade Clue: (C(irca), RE(garding), CE, ON (and probably more!)

Extraordinary about machine-gun in swimmers (8) (@LRxword)

Leading gangster about and at large (5) (RM) 

(I struggled to find clues where C/CE were used so please share one if you know one)


Just Part of The Clue:

A lunatic, crazy about the sea (8) (Rufus)

Keep an eye out for the word about in your clues. Don't brush it off as a connecting word but think of it as a red flag because it's likely a key to the solution. The best part is, now that we know how about can be used it should make the clue easier to solve. I've come to respect about almost as much as the compilers, and I hope you will too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack