Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Saturday, 15 August 2015

The Age Cryptic by DA #20,696

I had a rough week with the puzzles this week. I couldn't finish any until the NS and that one I was down to two clues and then begged help on the CCS to get at least on puzzle done.

Yesterday was nearly a bust as well - well I didn't finish the Da but I don't beat myself up about that because it's so tough anyway. I had a day of forgetfulness, inefficiency and was running back and forth to the same few places until I was done with Friday before elevenses.

This puzzle had a theme based around 6A - Cleaner gull snaffling doughnut (4) which was "gull" = SAP taking in an O to make S(O)AP.  I was stunned to have solved this first (I was also proud of myself for getting the Spooner clue, too). Then I thought are we talking detergents or TV shows? I don't know Aussie soap operas and I barely know all their brands. I get things muddled up between USA/UK and OZ. My mom worked for Proctor and Gamble and all her retirement was tied up in their stocks so I had to buy their stuff or mom would get pissed. Whenever she was flying out we'd have to restock the house with P&G brands so my relationship with branding is looking for the maker.

I had so many underlined questions as the main guys who give hints on the DA Trippers have left the group and that makes me sad. I love the hints, the vaguer the better. I still want to feel like I've done most of the solving and just need a nudge in the right direction. I hope they're just on vacations someplace warm and bright and will come back again. Here's my pic and I'll list the questionables below:



9A - 7- down army cadre in Bronte fashion? (5,4)

7-down was ALERT and with cross letters I could get ALARM BELL but have no idea how we get this or what the cheeky question mark was hinting.

13A - Twin extras see you (3-3)

I guessed the definition was "See you" and that "Twin" meant something was doubled and got the answer BYE-BYE but I don't know why "extras" = BYE.

1D - Stacks almost worry after exposure campaign (6)

I got this from One Across with the cross letters and a guess that "campaign" meant a bombing campaign but how we get there I can't see.

15D - Saves Sepp's record, eclipsed by felon (7)

"Saves" is the definition and I think this is supposed to be "S(-ep for record)PS is "eclipsed" or goes around a word for "felon" = CRIM but there's notion to say remove the EP so I wasn't sure. Something like "scratched record" would've been understandable for me.

16D - Contrary greens spoils pirate's punishment (8)

"Pirate's punishment" is the definition and I got it with that and cross letters. I don't know how we get KEELHAUL from the rest.

20D - He avoids Lorraine from Domain, using any stunt? (4,3)

I have no idea. I had all the cross letters and even a hint from @Mr_Indigo that it's a "is a somewhat obscure reference to a book popular in the 1980s." Didn't help me out.

24D - Dialogue writer books party needing lift (5)

"Dialogue writer" is our definition and the answer is PLATO but again, I don't know how we get the answer from the clue.

That was Friday. No offence to DA, in fact his puzzle, may have saved me from walking into the bight but I'm glad to see the back of the 14th.  Let's all hope for a better weekend. Spread the good vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack