A kinder puzzle this week with some fun wordplay. I did find this week the definitions were much easier to spot and with cross letters I got in most answers without parsing the clues. That may be great for just solving puzzles but not so much for this blog where I still have to break down and explain the clues. I have many gaps to sort and I made quite a few leaps of faith in my answers.
First few clues in were the early Down clues and 10A - the middle-top section. Then a couple in each corner. SE corner being where I got lost. Here's my pic:
Yes, back to using the newspaper since the digital access is still screwed. Spewing, as the Aussies say. (Also I love when I can get the Target word straight off) Let's dig in:
1A - David's wife crazy about husband when he attains degree (9)
"David's wife" is who we are looking for and I had a few cross letters when I thought "degree" = BA then I got the answer. I think "Crazy" = BATS "about husband" means to split BATS around H for "husband" then "HE attains degree" = HE BA to give us BAT(H)S HE BA.
6A - Blow papers fast (5)
With cross letters and a hint from DAT that "blow" meant to strike or RAP but the "papers" bit was holding me back because I was thinking thesis, dissertations and those kind of papers. Then I thought of ASBOs or serving someone papers like a summons to court. No it was all much simpler with just ID being our personal "papers" to give us RAP ID as a definition for "fast"
9A - One against some giant chant in the ear (3)
"One against" is the definition and I got this with cross letters. Answer is FOE. I'd pencilled in "nae" at first. I wonder if "ear" is a homophone signpost. Otherwise I'm stumped.
10A- Cancels a devil/saint clash (11)
Anagram with "cancels" as the definition and "a devil/saint clash," is fodder and anagrind to give us INVALIDATES.
11A,2D - Furiously relinquish your seats after a great concert (2,4,3,8)
I got a bit hung up on this one because I focused too much on my own concert going habit which hang about until the crowds disperse but to be very honest I despise crowds and don't go to concerts. Boring, I know. I thought the 8 letter-word may have been "carparks" which was all bad and wrong. We've had this answer before and it wasn't until a glass of wine was in me it was revealed: GO LIKE THE CLAPPERS. With audience members being the "clappers" in haste to rush out of the venue. Probably to the car parks.
12A - Emergency vessel hoist carries charge switch (4,4)
"Emergency vessel" is the definition and "hoist" = LIFT and "carries charge, switch" where "carries " is being used as a container signpost for "charge" = FARE to be "switched" or reversed like this LIF(E RAF)T.
15A - Equivalent to tattered orphan suppressing humour (2,3,4)
"Equivalent to," is the definition and "tattered orphan" is anagrind and partial fodder "suppressing humour," = WIT with "suppressing" telling us to insert WIT into the fodder like this:
ON PAR (WIT)H
16A - Hearsay via cast (5)
I didn't get this and it was so straightforward a clue, too. "Hearsay" is a homophone signpost, "via" = THROUGH/THREW and we want THREW as a synonym for "cast"
17A - The best cosmetic? (5)
Double definition: CREAM. My only concern was would it be CREAM or CREME for "cream of the crop" or "creme de la creme" with "creme de la mer"
19A- Note a duet petering out in spite of Chinese pride (5,4)
I got this with cross letters and a DAT hint that the last two words were the definition. Uhm, well. I don't really know. Answer is GREAT WALL. I guess "note" = G, "petering out" may be a deletion instruction. Or "in spite" could = GALL, "note" = RE + A from the clue which just leaves the TW unparsed. G(RE+A)(TW)ALL. Needs more work.
21A - Hamlet's pile blocked yokels in Oregon? (8)
With DAT Gayle's hint this was a hidden word clue, eagle eyes and a bit of google confirming "yokELS IN OREgon," ELSINORE is what we want.
22A - Helplessly said, 'Run off, run.' (6)
I didn't get this, I think I'd given up on the SE corner for TV and cuddling on the sofa with the husband. Gayle says "I thought it was way more complicated, looking for some deletion from despairing, and I first thought it was adrift until I got 20D. Said minus aid. Run off is 2-6." making "Helplessly said" where "help"= AID to be removed/"less" from "said" leaving the S and "run off" = PRINT for SPRINT.
25A - Cost of first lines doesn't perturb superior (6-5)
Another red pen. "Superior" is the definition and I think it's solved as "cost" = FEE, "of first" = OF and "doesn't perturb" is fodder and anagrind to give: T(OF)(FEE)NOSED. I'm not confident in that solution as I've not parsed "lines" so I think there's more going on with "of first lines" than what I've got so far.
27A - Chandelier-maker from Japan removed packaging? (3)
"Chandelier maker" is the definition and "from Japan" = ASIAN with "removed packaging" meaning to take off the first and last letter leaving SIA, the Australian female artist whose recent hit was called Chandelier. She doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think she's brilliant. Her "Eye of The Needle" is a lovely song. Many found her video for Chandelier confronting but damn that girl - who is 11 year old Maddie Ziegler - is an amazing dancer. Stunning. I get goosebumps and teary every time I watch the video - a tinge of envy too. I see all the hard work, determination and expression of heart. Sia is one of the best songwriters/performers today, making a top hit out of a song about the pain, addiction and shame of alcoholism. Art is confronting.
28A - Leading Perth fringes like fencing (5)
"Leading" is the definition and "PertH fringes" = PH which was as far as I got and then the cross letters fell in to give me ALPHA. How does "A LA" give us "like fencing?"
29A - Fertiliser shop demolished lot for auditorium (9)
"Fertiliser" is the definition and "shop demolished" is partial fodder and anagrind, and I think "lot for auditorium" is asking for a homophone where "lot" = FATE to give us (PHOS)PHATE.
1D - Cloud over mired salamander, shedding tail? (5)
"Cloud over" is the definition and "mired" = BOG and "Salamander" = EFT "shedding tail" means -T leaving B(EF)OG.
3D - Suaver rainwear (7)
Double definition: SLICKER. Oh a joyous break-in clue for any puzzle.
4D - Turn to green diplomat losing circular letter (4)
"Turn to green" is the definition and "diplomat" = ENVOY "losing a circular letter" = -O leaving ENVY.
5D - Organised grill at hen party until dawn (3-7)
"Party until dawn" is the definition an and "organised grill at hen" is anagrind and fodder to give us ALL-NIGHTER.
6D -Next to nothing in the Outback dwindling (3,4)
I didn't get this one, "next to nothing" is the definition and "the Outback, dwindling" = RED CENTRE minus the -RE for RED CENT. A red cent was a penny and the phrase "not even a red cent" or "not worth a red cent" means having or being "next to nothing."
8D - Peg wraps this fracture in domestic cloth (9)
"Domestic cloth" is our definition and the "peg" = DOWEL which will "wrap" around "this fracture" which is partial fodder and anagrind put together like this: D(ISH T)OWEL.
13D - Split view of plug over object with show-case, perhaps (8,3)
"Split view" is the definition and this clue got a lot of attention in DAT but despite the clues given I didn't understand it all. I got it with cross letters and a belief that the 3-letter word was maybe a synonym-then-homophone for "View" = SEE/SEA but let's see what Rupert said: "13D: Definition is the first two words. Plug = 1, 2; object = 7, 6; show = 5, 4, 3; case, perhaps = 8 – 11." That means "Plug" = AD, "object" = IT as in a thing we'd call an "it" "Show" = AIR reversed but I don't see how we know to reverse it unless that's "over" and "case perhaps" = C SEA. I at least knew I had the beginning and the end, it was the middle that was was giving me trouble. The answer is ADRIATIC SEA. Now, please explain to me how that is "Split view" because the only thing I can come up with is the whole phrase becomes a homophone like A DYADIC SEE = ADRIATIC SEA. I think that becomes a stretch too far into puzzler's mania.
14D - Sensitive picture of biscuit (6,4)
I'd stared at this with cross letters for most of the day then lazily put in FINGER FOOD thinking we eat biscuits with our fingers so why not. Next morning, a quick looksie and I could see the answer much clearer. Erase the lazy answer and "sensitive" = GINGER which I've only heard used as the adverb gingerly, We don't say to the easily offended "Oh don't be so ginger!" (I don't know maybe you do. We don't have this Ginger hang-up in America that commonwealth countries seem to have.) or "My arm is real ginger where I bashed it last week," so that wasn't an apparent synonym for me "picture" = SNAP for a GINGER SNAP.
15D,7D - Strings here or taps bearing advice regarding a sprained ankle (9,3)
"Strings here" is the definition and with cross letters and an idea the end with "advice regarding a sprained ankle" = STRAP IT, I could see ORCHESTRA PIT. I thought "bearing" was a compass point = E so what I don't know is the "or taps" bit, or maybe just the "taps" = CH if OR is from the clue. (OR)(CH)(E)(STRA PIT)
18D - Striking lead man (7)
The whole clue is the definition making this an &lit. "striking lead man" is anagrind and fodder to give us MANDELA.
20D - Laidback place screening copied and secured (5,2)
I think "secured" is the definition and "laidback" is a one word instruction where a synonym for "laid" = PUT and that's reversed "back" in the grid. "Screening" is a container signpost with "copied" = APED to give us: T(APED)UP
23D - Speed up freeway hub's traffic (5)
I think "Hub's traffic" is the definition and "speed up" = DART reversed in the grid to TRAD and "freeway hub's" = E as the centre of "freEway", to give us TRADE.
24D - Radio stations call studio dregs in city (4)
"City" is what we are looking for and I didn't get this, which I'm sad about now. It's a start/end kind of clue with "dregs" being the signpost because the dregs of something are the scraggly, icky bits at the end, like coffee grounds left in your cup. "radiO stationS calL studiO"= OSLO.
26D - Dandy grandpa doffing cap after Piaf's finale (3)
"Dandy " is the definition and I got this with cross letters and definition so I don't know if I got this right but I figure "grandpa" = OP as an "old age pensioner" but please hold back on the outrage if you are under 65 and a Grandpa. "piaF's finale" = F So where does that leave "doffing" in my solution? Unused so it must be wrong. Ok how about "Grandpa" = POP then "doffing cap" means first remove the -P then add the F for FOP. I like that one better. A bit of stream of consciousness solving, there.
So there we are. As always if you can fill in those clue gaps or have alternative, elegant solutions please share in the comments.
I have a busy week next week with kids back to school and big events for last term of Girl Guides. We're advocating the International Day of The Girl on October 11th all term with talks at the primary school, getting a petition signed to present to MPs and asking them to lobby for continued education for girls around the world and not cut back on aid.
I will hopefully have a puzzle for Tuesday but with this fault at The Age not loading up "Today's Paper" for several days now I'm tempted to quit my subscription and just solve Guardian puzzles for a while, or only do the Monday/Friday Fairfax if I have to buy the paper myself. I am looking forward to Monday as LR is back and he tells me: @Crypticrochet they are back next week. hopefully you'll be able to answer 1-across without a map! Sounds like I have an advantage!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, don't forget to put your clocks back.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Have a crack