Untangling words and yarn

Untangling words and yarn

Thursday, 3 July 2014

The Age Cryptic by DP for 2/7/14 (picture only)

Sorry, I've not got the time to write out the whole solution page. You can see the picture, read the scribbles and see my notations if that's any help, or if you want a certain clue broken down, let me know in comments and I'll reply. Kids on school vacation, nice sunny day - Mom's got priorities!

I will say yes I was annoyed to find not only another "fallen woman" clue but we also got a "male escort" clue, although without the side of sexism applied to women. It's a real shame as it kills my enjoyment of the puzzle completely to have that crap kicking around.

It wasn't my best effort, I got maybe half of the clues. 16D I could kick myself because I thought I knew the answer, wrote down the wrong letters for my anagram breakdown, then gave up - when I'd been right all along. I don't think 17D has a good enough definition in the clue but it's a question mark clue so maybe I'm missing the joke or pun? Also I've never seen that spelling for 17A. I did like 24A and 12A. Here's the pic:



This even comes with added telephone call doodles, so the "by 2" is nothing to do with the puzzle.

Looking forward to tomorrow's DA, fingers are crossed that if there's a kicker clue, I'll get it. And that I'll be wise to any slang. And aussieisms. And jokes.

I did a quick post about solving anagram clues and some of the terminology I use in my breakdowns, so have a look at that, too if you fancy. G'day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a crack